Sunday, July 13, 2008

Emotional Baggage

Last week I saw an 8 year old, sitting on the back sit of a car, tired of her younger sibling singing a same song over an over again. She said to her sister, and I paraphrase ‘I love you … but the song you are singing started to make me sick, please stop it.’
I was amazed and wondered, how some kids have better communication skills than some grown ups?! Then, the other day I had a short discussion with someone about ‘what may be more important when it comes to communications. The sender of message or the receiver?’
For sure one can’t do without another, but it seems as sender play a slightly more important role.
We my not notice this but regardless of how noble or just the purpose of a message can be , if it is sent with a bad tone or a wrong demeanor recipient will not like it and will not take the message . In other words, if we forget that words have ‘emotional baggages’ we more likely hurt peoples feelings.
It was an eye opener experience, made me think about myself too.

No comments: